The AgriFI Kenya Challenge Fund is a EUR 24 million five-year agribusiness support programme that is funded by the European Union in partnership with the European Investment Bank. It aims to support small and medium sized enterprises that have a track record of facilitating productive, adapted, and market integrated smallholder agriculture.
Through an €18 million challenge fund consisting of grants and loans, the scheme aims to allow farmers, cooperatives, and small entrepreneurs to access climate-smart agricultural training, develop their skills, improve quality standards, invest in equipment, marketing and branding for their businesses.
Imani Development and Self-Help Africa have partnered to develop and manage the AgriFI Kenya Challenge Fund, which is the flagship output of the Kenyan Initiative for Long-term Integration of Market Operators in Value Chains – or KILIMO VC. The project will embrace a collaborative approach in its implementation with Self Help Africa providing leadership and management and Imani Development providing technical oversight and operational support.
Imani’s role includes services such as:
- Technical design of the Action (Concept Development);
- Training and Capacity Building to the Lead Partner on running and managing Challenge Funds;
- Technical Assistance, including undertaking extensive Value Chain Assessments, applying the Market Systems Development and
- Sustainable Livelihoods Assessment frameworks;
- Co-establishment of the Independent Investment Committee;
- Fund design, marketing, and launch of the targeted thematic calls for proposals;
- Development of applicant due diligence criteria and processes;
- Comprehensive screening and due-diligence of applicants;
- Technical Support to applicants in reviewing and implementing business plans for successful applicants;
- Identification, management, and procurement of skills through a comprehensive Short-Term Technical Assistance pool of experts;
- Coaching and advisory services to successful applicants;
- Stakeholder engagement and management, particularly in the areas of trade and business associations, as well as financial service providers;
- Preparation and dissemination of communication and visibility materials relating to available credit and financial support services.