TradeMark East Africa has been working with the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) and the Private Sector to map Non-Tariff Barriers (NTBs) in South Sudan. They have assisted in developing a strategy for their elimination as well as establishing the NTB National Monitoring Committee (NTBs NMC).
The purpose of this engagement was to continue supporting the Ministry of Trade and Industry in consolidating gains made in NTBs elimination work and to provide capacity building to NMC for effective and efficient elimination of NTBs in South Sudan.
Primary activities undertaken during this assignment included:
• Provision of technical assistance and support to the NTBs NMC in updating and implementing the SS-NTB Elimination Plan;
• Supporting the NTBs NMC in conducting research on high priority NTBs, designing appropriate actions plans for their elimination, and assisting in negotiations where necessary;
• Supporting the establishment and implementation of a functioning SMS-based National Response System (NRS);
• Proposing action plans to address NTBs that require gender-sensitive planning;
• Reviewing the regulatory impact affecting business competitiveness and propose elimination measures;
• Development of communications and outreach strategies and mechanisms;
• Carrying learning missions to Uganda and Rwanda’s NTB NMCs;
• Preparing ToRs for NTB verification missions and assist the NTBs NMC in undertaking these;
• Providing ongoing assistance to the NTBs NMC to adequately implement its action plan;
• Providing ongoing policy advice on inter-ministerial collaborations, support implementation of designed mechanisms, provide recommendations relating to collection and dissemination of NTBs data