Emerging from an existing partnership between Mondelēz International and Fairtrade under the Climate Change and Organisational Strengthening Programme, the Cadbury Farmer Resilience Fund was funded by the Vulnerable Supply Chains Facility (VSCF). This was a rapid COVID-19 response fund set up by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), and managed by Mott MacDonald Ltd.
The Fund was set up as a flexible grant facility to provide start-up capital on climate-smart new business models, and help farmers maintain their cocoa harvest through the 2020-2021 season. The Facility partners with 20 UK and international retailers and brands, and 7 not-for-profit organisations, supporting over 100 suppliers across Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Myanmar, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe. It will provide economic, social, and health benefits to around 1 million women and men directly and indirectly.
Imani Development was contracted to provide technical advisory support on the design and write-up of the Progamme Grant strategy, undertake a market assessment and a livelihoods needs analysis for income diversification.
The work scope consisted of the following components:
- Lead on the design and write-up of the Progamme Grant strategy, working closely with the technical and programmatic teams to create best practice processes and approach for the programme
- Developing grants operational and management processes, including, due diligence, financial requirements, governance and operational procedures.
- Designing grant windows and ensuring the smooth opening of the grant windows
- Providing advice on the shortlisting and assessment of applications
- Ensuring eligible applications are developed and received